Questions About PD
We thank you for your question. ISPD does not have specific guidelines for dressing changes for a patient on PD admitted to the hospital. In the latest “ISPD Cather-related infection recommendations: 2017 update” the authors recommend the following for routine PD catheter exit-site care for all patients:
- We recommend daily topical application of antibiotic cream or ointment to the catheter exit site.
- We suggest that no cleansing agent has been shown to be superior with respect to preventing catheter-related infections
- We recommend that the exit site be cleansed at least twice weekly and every time after a shower.
- We recommend that exit sites be cleansed at least daily during exit-site infection.
In this same article, the authors also note that chlorhexidine gluconate, 0.05% to 2% aqueous solution with or without isopropyl alcohol, is commonly used for PD catheter exit-site care. (1)
(1) Szeto CC, Li P, Johnson DW, Bernardini J, Dong J, Figueiredo AE, et al. ISPD catheter-related infection recommendations: 2017 update. Perit Dial Int 2017; 37:141–54. Available at: http://www.pdiconnect.com/content/37/2/141.short?ssource=mfc&rss=1