Ms. Obayori Christianah Olufunke says about her Fellowship at Anschutz Medical Campus Aurora, Colorado (USA) between October and December, 2018: “My fellowship began with the mandatory HR Dept formalities and ID printing, followed by an orientation to the Dept in person by Prof Isaac Teitelbaum. I was given opportunities to attend Renal Clinics (out-patients) along with the concerned consultants”
During this training, she was given the opportunity to have surgical experiences in the following procedures at the operating theatre:
- Laparoscopic PD catheter placement
- Laparoscopic PD catheter revision
- Arteriovenous Fistula creation
- Arteriovenous Graft placement
- Arteriovenous Fistula revision
The majority of the days were basically on demonstration/teachings on PD procedures:
- Starting PD
- Taking Care of Catheters and Exit Site to Help Prevent PD Infections
- Demonstration of aseptic techniques during PD exchanges
- Teaching/demonstration of steps of safe PD
- Managing fluid on PD
- Making decisions of care at home by the clients
- Eating well On PD
The later days of the training was concluded on festive note where she and her colleague had dinner and Christmas party with both the Coordinator and the entire dialysis team.
After completing this fellowship, Ms Obayori Christianah Olufunke hopes to establish a PD unit in Nigeria with the following goals:
- To provide PD to adult and paediatric ESRD adult patients who choose this option.
- To provide training for interested physicians within and outside this hospital on PD
- To develop national and international partnership with organisation/institution with similar goals.
- To conduct research capable of improving service and patient outcome.
They also hope to partner with the University of Colorado towards this goal, which would be a wonderful culmination of this ISPD fellowship!
Ms Obayori Christianah Olufunke and Mr Oguntade Banjo Hameed,
with the staff of the Universtity of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus in Denver
Mr Oguntade Banjo Hameed from Federal Teaching Hospital Ido-Ekiti says:
“I’d applied for this training under the supervision of Prof Isaac Teitelbaum at the University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus, Denver. Colorado, United State of America. Prof Isaac is a wonderful man and an amazing teacher. He assumed his supervisory role long before I arrived in America as he was helpful all through the form filling periods and visa processes”
Mr Hameed was in Colorado for 3 months commencing October 2018. He is happy to have learnt the basics of PD, catheter insertion, patient training and management of complications on PD.
On his return, a PD team has been constituted and preparations to offer PD as a therapy to patients is being done in right earnest.